Tattoos have always been a part of culture and art. They are viewed as an act of self-expression and sometimes even rebellion. However, a lot of people often regret getting a tattoo done because it creates a barrier to employment and social acceptance. It is estimated that over 50% of individuals regret getting a tattoo done and look for an effective procedure to have it removed. Since tattoos are meant to be permanent, they are applied deep under the skin and are very hard to remove.
Laser Tattoo Removal:
There are several methods like dermabrasion, chemical removal and excision, however, these methods are considered painful and can lead to a certain level of scarring. Here is where laser tattoo removal stands out as an effective and safe procedure to get rid of tattoos. Q-switched lasers provide a safe and highly effective method for removing a range of tattoo inks with little or no side effects. This FDA approved laser is the latest in a string of lasers designed to eradicate unwanted tattoos.
How Does Q-Switched Laser Work?
The Q-Switched laser device delivers light at very high energy. The energy pulses get absorbed by the tattoo, consequently breaking it into tiny pigment particles that are small enough for removal through the body's natural immune system. Once the ink is broken down, the body's immune system flushes it out of the body, over a couple of weeks. Although very effective, laser tattoo removal does not happen overnight and requires more than one session.
What Does The Procedure Involve?
This treatment is performed at the doctor's clinic and involves the following:
· At first, the patient's eyes are covered using protective eye shields.
· The skin's reaction to the laser is then tested in order to determine the energy, which is most effective for treatment.
· The laser device is placed on the surface of the skin and laser light is activated. The energy pulses start to work on the tattoo ink and break it down in to tiny particles.
· Lastly, an ice pack is applied on the treated area to help soothe the skin. This is followed by application of antibiotic cream or ointment and the treatment site is protected using a bandage.
What Type of Tattoos Can Be Removed?
Q-Switch laser tattoo removal can successfully remove all types of tattoos, including professional, amateur and even traumatic tattoos, which are those that result from accidents. The laser is specifically suited to remove darker inks like blue and black, which are otherwise difficult to eliminate. It is also used to remove green, red and orange tattoos.
How Long Does the Procedure Take?
This depends on the size the tattoo and the type of ink used. A small, single color tattoo can be removed in as little as 15 minutes while a large one can take around an hour.
Benefits of Q-Switched Tattoo Removal:
· A safe treatment that provides outstanding results
· Gets rid of most inks, including dark colors like black and blue.
· Only targets the tattoo without damaging surrounding tissues and skin.
· Significantly reduces the possibility of scarring.